2 cups Yellow Lentils (or, in a pinch yellow split peas)
6 cups Water
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic – minced
2 Tbsp Ginger Root – minced
½ tsp Cumin
1 tsp Corriander
1 ½ tsp Turmeric
Optionally 1 Small Hot Pepper
1 can 15 oz. Tomatoes or 3-4 fresh Tomatoes
1 bunch Spinach (large)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
To Taste Salt
- Combine lentils & water and bring to a boil; then reduce heat to medium and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Chop the garlic & ginger.
- In a small pan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add all of the spices including the hot pepper, but not the salt. Stir for a few minutes & set aside.
- When the lentils have simmered, stir in tomatoes, spinach, lemon & salt. Heat until well wilted.
- Just before serving, stir in spicy oil.
NOTE: This is not my recipe it can be found in “1,000 Vegan Recipes” — a book I highly recommend.