Upcycle It! Totals (updated October 2018):
$14,645.89 raised for Westford schools!
933,966 pieces equaling 9,945 lbs. of trash saved from the waste stream!
Turning Trash into Cash for Westford Schools
As part of our mission to provide “green” programs to the community, the Upcycle It! program collects non-recyclables such as drink pouches, chip bags, granola bar wrappers, and to keep them out of landfills.
Watch our 5 minute overview of Upcycle It!
*Please note, some of the items in the below video may NO longer accepted. Check our list below.
We Can Only Accept These Specific Items
Please help the schools and the planet and reduce trash by helping us collect these specific items:
- Foil Drink Pouches and their straws (i.e. Capri Sun, Kool Aid, Honest Kids etc.)
- Energy or Granola Bars (ANY brand energy, granola, cereal, or protein bar)
- Chip Bags (ANY chip bag small or large)
- Oral Care Products (toothbrushes, plastic toothpaste tubes) No electric toothbrush heads
- Beauty Item Packaging – ANY brand makeup/personal care packaging (mascara, lipstick/lip balm, eye shadow, deodorant, lotion tubes) No items that can be curbside recycled such as most shampoo or conditioner containers.
- Brita and Pur brand water filters and accessories – Brita and Pur brands ONLY
- Baby and Toddler food pouches – ANY brand baby or toddler food pouches and their screw caps.
- Cereal Bags – ANY brand cereal bag including clear liners inside a cereal box
More information what to collect and preparation instructions:
Click here to print our full list. Updated November 2016.
Click here to read our Upcycle It! Frequently Asked Questions. Updated November 2016.
We Collect These Items At:
- J.V. Fletcher Library (by basement elevator)
- Roudenbush Community Center (Main Street, Westford)
- Starbucks (174 Littleton Rd., Westford)
- Schools (collecting from parents)
They are then sent to Terracycle who pays 2 cents for each piece we collect. Sustainable Westford will be donating this money to the Westford Public Schools.
Interested in Applying for a Grant?
For information on our current grant application and past grant recipients, take a look here.
Still have questions?
Use our contact form and select “Upcycle It!” as the subject.